Sautéed cabbage and sausage in a creamy sauce is comforting and satisfying! Plus, you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes!
When I need to get dinner on the table quick, cabbage and sausage is one of my go-to meals. Its easy, uncomplicated, comfort food!
A well-stocked kitchen means always having a few staple ingredients on hand so I can throw together a quick and healthy meal. Sausage is one of those ingredients. When my favorite brands go on sale, I grab a few extra packages and throw them in the freezer. Sausage is a flavor bomb and goes with so many things.
Pasta is another staple, and Shannon loves egg noodles! On a night I want to keep it low carb, I swap out the egg noodles with spaghetti squash, which gives a delicious little hint of sweetness.
You can use any kind of cabbage and sausage you like. I change it up all the time, but today I used Hillshire Farms Chicken Hardwood Smoked Sausage. It has a fantastic flavor!
You can have this dish whipped up in about 30 minutes, and it’s totally versatile. Feel free to add peppers, mushrooms, or peas – my personal favorite. If you’re gluten-free, simply swap out the egg noodles with your favorite gluten-free noodles or rice.
How to make creamy cabbage and sausage
- Cook the pasta according to the direction on the package.
- Saute the sausage in a little olive oil.
- Add the veggies and broth.
- Build the sauce right in the pan.
- Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
You’ll want to be sure to cook your pasta al dente, which means it’s still a little firm when you bite into it. The pasta will continue to cook when you add it to the cabbage mixture, and this will ensure it doesn’t get overcooked and mushy.
Serve this with:
Did you try this recipe?
- Leave us a comment or rating below!
- Tag and hashtag us on Instagram @nashvillemade #nashvillemadefood
- Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook
- Sign up here to receive our weekly roundup in your inbox.
Creamy Egg Noodles, Cabbage & Smoked SausagePlain Everything Recipe Index
- 13 ounce package cooked smoked sausage sliced
- 12 ounce bag egg noodles
- 4 ounces cream cheese full fat
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 head of cabbage chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- [In a large pot, cook the egg noodles al-dente.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Sauté the sausage until it's browned on both sides.
- Add the cabbage and onions.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is just tender.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the cream cheese and butter.
- Use the back of a spatula to break up the cream cheese
- Add the green onions and spices and continue working in the cream cheese.
- Add the broth and stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Add the egg noodles to the pan and toss thoroughly.
- Cook over low heat for about two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat, adjust the seasoning, and garnish with additional green onions before serving.