A classic Italian bruschetta recipe using fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, and good quality olive oil served over warm grilled bread – and it’s perfection!
Bruschetta is easily one of my favorite things to make and eat. It’s a classic Italian appetizer pronounced “brooSKetta” consisting of fresh tomatoes, basil garlic, and olive oil. It’s light, fresh and full of flavor…and the variations are endless.
The classic recipe is perfect the way it is, but you can play around with ingredients to make it your own. Some people serve it with balsamic vinegar, but I prefer to serve that on the side as I think it’s too sweet. That said, I love a little fresh rosemary, and my hubby likes crushed red pepper. This recipe is incredibly versatile!
My Italian bruschetta recipe is easy to make!
- Add everything but the tomatoes to a big bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes and add them to the bowl.
- Stir to combine, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve on grilled bread and enjoy!
For this recipe, I added the garlic right to the tomato mixture. Another technique is to rub the bread with a raw clove of garlic while it’s still warm. The heat and abrasiveness of the bread will melt the garlic right into it. I do both and both are delicious!
If you’re gluten-free, try serving the tomato mixture with tortilla chips. Although it’s not classic bruschetta, it can totally be Italian salsa 😉
Tips for making the best bruschetta:
- For better flavor, prepare the tomato mixture 30-60 minutes before serving.
- Do not refrigerate. It has better flavor at room temperature.
- Use the best ingredients you can. It makes a huge difference.
- Use a Microplane to grate the garlic. You don’t want any large chunks.
- Wait until just before serving to top the bread with the tomatoes.
Pair this with a cheese plate and a bottle of wine for an appetizer or light meal that will impress your guests!
Serve this with:
- Homemade Basil Pesto
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Easy Beef & Tomato Goulash
- Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell
Did you try this recipe?
- Leave us a comment or rating below!
- Tag and hashtag us on Instagram @nashvillemade #nashvillemadefood
- Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook
- Sign up here to receive our weekly roundup in your inbox.
Easy Italian Bruschetta Recipe with Tomato and Basil
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced optional
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread, sliced and grilled
- Slice the tomatoes in half, gently squeeze out some of the seeds, and diced them up.
- Add the tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic to a large bowl. Stir well.
- Stack 5 of the basil leaves, roll them tightly and make thin slices. Add it to the tomatoes.
- Add a small pinch of salt and pepper to the tomatoes and stir well.
- Let the tomato mixture sit at room temperature for 30 -60 minutes before serving.
- Just before assembling the bruschetta, taste and adjust the seasonings one last time.
- Spoon the tomatoes on top of the grilled bread.
- Garnish with additional basil and rosemary (optional)