This butter and lemon flavored white rice recipe will up your rice-making game! It takes minutes to prep and cooks up perfectly every time!
Perfectly cooked rice is something that a lot of people struggle with. If you’re one of them, this butter and lemon flavored white rice recipe is for you!
I’ve developed a lot of recipes over the years, but this is one I am incredibly proud of. I’ve shared it on my Instagram stories many times, showing different variations and serving suggestions. Thousands of people have made it and have had nothing but positive feedback!
Rice seems like it should be so simple, right? What’s so hard about adding a cup of rice plus two cups of water to a pot and cooking it for 20 minutes? It sounds easy enough, but there’s more to it. Cooking rice isn’t a one-size-fits-all thing. There are several different varieties of rice, and they each require different cooking times and techniques.
- What kind of rice should I use?
- Do I have to rinse my rice?
- How much water am I supposed to add?
- Do I add butter or oil fat?
- How long do I cook it?
To add to the confusion, much of the information you find online is contradicting. After testing several different ways to make rice, I landed on my perfect oven-baked rice. That’s right. It cooks in the OVEN, and it comes out perfect every time!
Foolproof Butter & Lemon Flavored White Rice Recipe
Ingredients used in this recipe:
- Long grain white rice: This is a must, and I don’t rinse it. IMO, rinsing the rice messes up the ratio of water to rice. I’ve tested this several times, and not rinsing the rice yields better results. If you’re worried about pesticides, buy a good quality organic brand, which is what I do.
- Broth or water: I suggest low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth for extra flavor.
- Olive oil: It cooks into the rice for added flavor and helps keep the grains of rice from sticking together.
- Butter: Stirred in at the end for a big pop of buttery flavor.
- Lemon: For a big burst of lemon flavor and freshness.
- Sea salt: Salt brings out flavor and just makes food better
- Black pepper: Because a little goes in almost every savory dish.
- Fresh herbs: My go-to in this dish is Italian parsley.
How to make this simple white rice recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring the broth, seasonings, and olive oil to a simmer.
- Prepare a baking dish, and spread the rice in an even layer.
- Pour the broth over the rice.
- Tightly cover and bake.
- When the rice is done, add the lemon and butter, and fluff with a large fork.
Recipe tips and variations:
One of the things I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. Change up the broth, herbs, and seasonings to make it your own! My go-to is butter and lemon, but the variations are endless. If we’re having tacos, I add southwest seasonings and swap lime and cilantro for butter and lemon. For an Italian spin, try butter, parmesan, and fresh basil. If you’re going for Asian vibes, soy sauce, lemon, and a touch of sesame oil is delish. Once you’ve got the technique down pat, you can change out the flavors however you want!
I highly recommend using low-sodium or salt-free broth (or water). Some brands are SOOO salty and can ruin the whole dish.
When you’re incorporating the lemon and butter into the rice, it is crucial to use a light touch, never pressing down. Use a raking motion, occasionally (and gently) scooping from the bottom to the top. The goal is fluffy rice with perfectly separated grains.
Storage: Surprisingly, rice does not keep as long as most people think it does. If you can’t eat it within three days, freeze it. It freezes beautifully and reheats quickly!
Equipment needed for this recipe:
Baking dish: This is the one shown in this post – it’s a perfect size!
Aluminum foil: It works great for getting a good, tight seal.
Small pot: This one is the perfect size for this recipe and so any other things.
Large fork: A large serving fork works best for fluffing and separating the rice.
Serving dish: Optional but I just love pretty serving platters!
Serve this with:
- Nashville Hot Chicken Tacos
- Sausage Balls – Italian Style
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Potstickers with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
- Chipotle Barbacoa Recipe (Shredded Beef)
- Copycat Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies
Did you try this recipe?
- Leave us a comment or rating below!
- Tag and hashtag us on Instagram @nashvillemade #nashvillemadefood
- Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook
- Sign up here to receive our weekly roundup in your inbox.
Foolproof Butter & Lemon Flavored White Rice RecipePlain Everything Recipe Index
- 1 Baking dish This is the exact one shown in this post – it’s a perfect size!
- 1 Aluminum foil It works great for getting a good, tight seal.
- 1 Small pot This one is the perfect size for this recipe and so any other things.
- 1 Large fork A large serving fork works best for fluffing and separating the rice.
- 1 Serving dish Optional but I just love pretty serving platters!
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the water, olive oil, and seasonings to a small pot. Bring to a boil.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and add the rice.
- Pour the boiling liquid over the rice, and quickly spread it around evenly with a fork.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and place in the oven on the center rack.
- Bake for exactly 30 minutes, remove from the oven, and immediately remove the foil.
- Cut the butter into chunks and drop it all over the top of the rice
- Add one tablespoon of the lemon juice, and use a fork to gently incorporate the butter. Be careful to not compact the rice. Use a light touch. See note above.
- Add another tablespoon of lemon juice every 20 or 30 seconds, while continuously raking and fluffing the rice.
Save this Post to Pinterest