Cabbage and sausage is one of the easiest and tastiest meals in my repertoire, and you can have in on the table in about 15 minutes!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can have my cabbage and sausage on the table within minutes. It’s easy, full of flavor and nutrition, and who doesn’t love a one-pot meal on busy nights?
In fact, cabbage and sausage just go together. Like peanut butter and chocolate or pasta and cheese. The combination is delicious, comforting, and meant to be. We like it with onions and garlic, but feel free to use frozen onions and garlic powder to make it even easier!
Chicken sausage is one of my favorite ingredients. It has a ton of flavor and can be used in a variety of dishes. For this recipe, I used the roasted garlic chicken sausage from Trader Joes, but I’ve changed it up countless times.
While cabbage and sausage is a typically a southern dish, experiment with sausage and seasonings for different flavor combinations. Chorizo, bell peppers, and smoked paprika, and cumin gives it a southwest twist, while Bratwurst, cooked potatoes, and caraway make it more German.
What you’ll need for cabbage and sausage saute:
- Coleslaw mix
- Frozen peas
- Olive oil
- Dried thyme
If you’re following any kind of low carb diet, you’ll want to make this on repeat. The sausage adds a TON of umami flavor and you won’t miss the carbs. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo.
Tips for making cabbage and sausage:
- Coleslaw mix is the secret ingredient for making this quick and easy.
- Use any sausage you like. It’s a fun way to change it up.
- Cook the cabbage to your liking. We like ours with a little crunch, so three minutes is enough.
- To stretch the dish, mix with cooked egg noodles and adjust the butter, salt, and pepper.
Other things that would be good in this are green peppers, potatoes, or even a big handful of greens. I think Swiss chard or kale would be delicious and add even more nutrition. To keep this lower in carbs, we eat it just like this, but you could easily stretch it with noodles, serve it over rice, or make a side salad.
Serve this with:
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Three Bean Salad
- Bailey’s & Guinness Ice Cream
- Homemade Basil Pesto
- Classic Tomato Bruschetta
Did you try this recipe?
- Leave us a comment or rating below!
- Tag and hashtag us on Instagram @nashvillemade #nashvillemadefood
- Follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook
- Sign up here to receive our weekly roundup in your inbox.
Cabbage and Sausage SautePlain Everything Recipe Index
- 12 ounces cooked sausage links, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 12 ounces coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the olive oil, followed by the sausage and onion.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the sausage is lightly browned.
- Add the butter and seasonings. Cook for one minute.
- Add the coleslaw mix and turn the heat down to medium.
- Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cabbage is just wilted. Stir frequently.
- Add the peas, stir well, and cook for one minute or until the peas are thawed.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to taste before serving.